Allergic Rhinitis (Correlated to Dushta Pratishyaya)
All those with dosha constitutions dominated by Vata and Kapha can become aggravated due to causes like indigestion, inhalation of dust, fumes, drinking different types of water, drinking cold water during a cold season, exposure to cold breezes, etc. The aggravation typically accumulates in the upper respiratory tract.
- Sneezing, often accompanied by a runny or clogged nose
- Coughing and post-nasal drip
- Itching eyes, nose and throat
- Allergic shiners (dark circles under the eyes caused by increased blood flow near the sinuses)
- The "allergic salute" (in a child, persistent upward rubbing of the nose that causes a crease mark on the nose)
- Watery eyes
- Conjunctivitis (an inflammation of the membrane that lines the eyelids, causing red-rimmed, swollen eyes and crusting of the eyelids).
Nasya is the primary treatment for Allergic Rhinitis, involving medicated oil drips to the nostrils. While medications are necessary throughout the treatment process, they alone cannot cure the condition. By using Nasya, our Physicians work to expel the accumulated waste (vitiated Kapha in the sinus area) and to re-balance the doshas. Preparatory (Purvakarma) treatments for this condition are typically only prescribed for the face and neck area and include oil application and medicated steam. Accompanying internal medicines are prescribed to increase the digestive fire (Deepana) and burn waste (Ama Pachana).