- Disease & Conditions (A-Z)
- COVID Immunity Center
- Eyes & ENT
- Skin Conditions
- Women's Health Problems
- Can AyurVAID help me?
- Treatments & Procedures (A-Z)
- Our Services
- Our Approach
- International Patients
- Bangalore, Domlur
- Bangalore, Ramamurthy Nagar
- Bangalore, Hebbal
- Cochin, Kadavanthara
- Cochin, Aster Medcity
- Delhi-NCR, Medanta Medicity
- Uttarakhand, Kalmatia
- Medical Professionals
- Contact Us
Ayurvedic Treatment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Request An Appointment
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS or spastic colon) is a functional bowel disorder characterized by chronic abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating, and alteration of bowel habits in the absence of any detectable organic cause. In some cases, the symptoms are relieved by bowel movements. Diarrhea or constipation may predominate, or they may alternate (classified as IBS-D, IBS-C or IBS-A, respectively). IBS may begin after an infection (post-infectious, IBS-PI), a stressful life event, or onset of maturity without any other medical indicators. Irritable Bowel Syndrome causes several conditions including celiac disease, mild infections, parasitic infections like giardiasis, several inflammatory bowel diseases, functional chronic constipation, and chronic functional abdominal pain.Irritable bowel syndrome causes, in some cases, severe itching and burning sensation on the head, described as the Irritable bowel syndrome scalp.
Abdominal pain, fullness, gas, and bloating that have been present for at least 6 months are the main symptoms of IBS. The pain and other symptoms will often:
- Occur after meals
- Come and go
- Be reduced or go away after a bowel movement
People with IBS may switch between constipation and diarrhea, or mostly have one or the other.
- People with diarrhea will have frequent, loose, watery stools. They will often have an urgent need to have a bowel movement, which is difficult to control.
- Those with constipation will have difficulty passing stool, as well as less frequent bowel movements. They will often need to strain and will feel cramping with a bowel movement. Often, they do not eliminate any stool, or only a small amount.
Some may develop Irritable Bowel Syndrome scalp with severe itching and burning sensation on the scalp. For some people, the symptoms may get worse for a few weeks or a month, and then decrease for a while. For others, symptoms are present most of the time and may even slowly increase. People with IBS may also lose their appetite.Irritable Bowel Syndrome treatment lies in alleviating these signs and symptoms.
IBS tends to be more common in:
- People in their late 20s
- IBS is two times more common in women than in men
- People who have panic disorder or other psychological conditions
- People who have a family history of IBS
- People who have a history of physical or sexual abuse or other psychological trauma, several studies have found a link between a history of abuse and gastrointestinal disorders.
- People with other conditions such as depression, migraine headaches, and fibromyalgia (which causes widespread muscle and soft-tissue pain and tenderness)
There is no test to diagnose IBS, but tests may be done to rule out other problems:
- Blood tests to see if you have a low blood count (anemia)
- Stool cultures to rule out an infection
Nidhana & Samprapthi
From an Ayurvedic perspective, Grahani is caused due to the vitiation of vata and pitta doshas. Accumulation of toxins or ama, could also lead to this disease condition. Excessive intake of spicy, oily foods, irregular food habits can cause an aggravation in the disease condition. Grahani may also develop due to excess stress. AyurVAID is in the forefront in providing ayurvedic treatment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Bangalore
Irritable bowel syndrome Treatment principles include Nidhana Parivarchana, Agni Deepana, Grahithwam – Withholding capacity, psychosocial issues and encourage Self-Management
- Apparent relief in signs & symptoms
- Very lesser possibility of recurrence
Disclaimer: * Outcomes may vary from person to person