- Disease & Conditions (A-Z)
- COVID Immunity Center
- Eyes & ENT
- Skin Conditions
- Women's Health Problems
- Can AyurVAID help me?
- Treatments & Procedures (A-Z)
- Our Services
- Our Approach
- International Patients
- Bangalore, Domlur
- Bangalore, Ramamurthy Nagar
- Bangalore, Hebbal
- Bangalore, Shankarapuram
- Cochin, Kadavanthara
- Cochin, Aster Medcity
- Delhi-NCR, Medanta Medicity
- Uttarakhand, Kalmatia
- Medical Professionals
- Contact Us
Ayurvedic Treatment for Obesity
Ayurveda considers obesity as a Kapha-predominant disorder. Poor lifestyle practices can reduce the rate of metabolism and in turn block the body channels, causing the accumulation of Medas in various parts of the body. The accumulation of inconsistent Kapha in the body channels then prevents the distribution of Dhatvagni to various systems. This in turn activates the digestive fire in the stomach and aggravates the hunger (even when one does not necessarily require food), which ultimately leads to over-eating and weight gain.
Our treatment approach
The Ayurvedic management of obesity is Langhana Therapy (Thinning therapy) through various measures including Panchakarma – the classical five-fold purification therapies.
Unlike most medical systems, the Ayurveda approach to managing obesity involves purification therapies which actually work to re-set the metabolism – leading to a long-lasting impact on weight maintenance, rather than temporary effects only.
In addition to carefully prescribed internal herbal medicines tailored to the individual, our treatment plans for obesity involve a combination of deep dry massage with special herbal powders and pastes (Udwarthanam), herbal steam baths (Bashpa Swedam) and other therapies. This combination of treatment has proven highly effective in cutting down excess fat, correcting irregular metabolism and clearing the body channels. The length of the treatment plan will vary according to the condition of the patient and nature of obesity.
In addition to therapies, our AyurVAID Physicians will also prescribe a thorough Diet and Lifestyle regimen – again personalized to the patient and rooted in Ayurveda principles – which will be key to maintaining appropriate weight levels. Beyond the typical recommendations to reduce the quantity of food intake – particularly of sweet and fatty foods which contain a lot of carbohydrate - Ayurveda has particular recommendations for appropriate food groups and habits, including the following:
- Not sleeping during the day is key to managing against obesity, while sleeping late at night and getting up early in the morning are very beneficial
- Wheat is considered the optimal cereal to managing against obesity, while barley, oats and maize are also helpful
- Bitter vegetables like bitter gourd or bitter varieties of drumstick are very helpful
- Reasonable amounts of tea and coffee are allowed
- Regular and adequate mental and physical exercise should be made a daily habit. The largest muscles in the body are the leg muscles, and naturally these burn the most calories, which make walking, running, and cycling among the most effective forms of exercise for reducing body fat.
Disclaimer: * Outcomes may vary from person to person