- Disease & Conditions (A-Z)
- Skin Conditions
- Fertility Solutions
- Eyes & ENT
- Can AyurVAID help me?
- Treatments & Procedures (A-Z)
- Our Services
- Our Approach
- International Patients
- Hospitals & Clinics
- Bangalore, Domlur
- Bangalore, Ramamurthy Nagar
- Bangalore, Jayanagar
- Bangalore, JP Nagar
- Cochin, Kadavanthara
- Cochin, Aster Medcity
- Uttarakhand, Kalmatia
- Medical Professionals
- Contact Us
Ayurvedic Treatment for Cancer Rehabilitation
AyurVAID’s Integrated Cancer Rehabilitation Program (ICRP) is built on a foundation of classical Ayurveda management that addresses primary as well as secondary (metastatic) cancers.
ICRP focuses on palliative care to improve the patient’s ‘Quality of Life’. Classical Ayurveda therapies are appropriately integrated with the primary management of cancer to alleviate acute side effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy to enhance functional health and overall sense of welbeing. Further, the motivation levels of the patient and his/her family are enhanced thereby minimizing patient default.
The integrated and holistic approach adopted under the ICRP results in an individualized program that includes customized diet-lifestyle-medicine-treatments prescription.
The cancer rehabilitation program at AyurVAID is delivered by a medical team comprising of experienced Ayurveda post-graduate physicians and nursing staff who are oriented and trained to respond to the unique needs of cancer patients. The Ayurveda medical team is supported by a MBBS, DNB.(Psychiatry) doctor who is specially certified in cancer palliative care from the Indian Association of Palliative Care (IAPC).
- Primary Carcinoma of Breast, Cervix, Ovary, Colon, Lung, and Head & Neck
- Secondary/Metastatic Carcinoma
- Adverse effects of Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy
Minimises Adverse Effects:
ICRP minimises acute adverse effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy such as nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhoea, mucositis, hair-fall, skin rashes, ulcers, burns, myelosuppression, peripheral neuropathies.
Systemic Improvement of Body & Mind Function
At the whole body and mind level the patient shall experience improvement in quality of sleep, appetite, digestion, excretion (motion & urine), in addition to experiencing enhanced vitality and energy levels and lower stress levels for both patient and his/her family.
All dimensions of pain- physical, mental, emotional- are covered by drug and non-drug measures. In particular, to use herbal medicines with anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties to reduce pain associated with muscle, bone, joints, stomach, head, etc.
The herbal medicines can be administered alongwith conventional pain management taking into account drug-drug interaction. There are no side/adverse effects of these herbal medicines as may occur in the case of opioids or NSAIDs that are used in conventional therapies. Where appropriate, local and whole body treatments are done to supplement the internal medication. As such, disease aggravation arising from uncontrolled or unrelieved pain is compensated by the broad spectrum activity of classical Ayurveda medicines.
AyurVAID’s ICRP complements and enhances the effectiveness of the primary cancer treatment. It also enhances immunity and compensates for cachexia.
Before, during, or after conventional medical management. Increasingly, the recommendation is to start palliative care as early as possible and even preceding the primary cancer treatment. This helps enhance immunity, outcomes, and patient morale, as also reduces side effects and patient dropouts.
- Firstly, comprehensive medical assessment shall be carried out based on the standard AyurVAID protocol, supplemented by an oncology specific assessment protocol
- All current medical reports of the patient shall be taken into account
- Primary and secondary medical management objectives specific to the patient shall be determined
- A customised medical management plan covering diet-lifestyle-medicine-treatment as appropriate for the patient and disease shall be developed
- A consensus on next steps shall be arrived at with the patient, with the primary physician, and patient’s family members
- Track patient’s response to the ICRP from start through the entire treatment cycle by using standard medical outcome scales such as Common Toxicity Criteria (CTC), Karnofsky Performance Status Scale, and Quality of Life (QoL) scale
AyurVAID does not administer any aggressive treatments that is intended to replace the conventional cancer treatment that the patient is undergoing. AyurVAID’s ICRP is positioned as a supportive therapy that seamlessly integrates with concurrent modern medical management, if any, that the patient is undergoing. AyurVAID shall not act contrary to what has been advised by the patient’s primary treating physician.
Cancer patients who are younger than 12 years or older than 80 years, pregnant women, patients with serious comorbidities (cardiac, renal, for e.g.) and patients in or near oncologic emergencies, are excluded from AyurVAID’s ICRP.
Disclaimer: * Outcomes may vary from person to person